New raspberries for the new year

Standard

I finally convinced my slughunter to help me with building a support for my new raspberry canes. They are made from old loft rafters taken out of the neighbours house when they had an extension put in.


Some wire guide lines and 15 new rapsberry plants and I am a tired and happy allotmenteer. Next for some more weeding before I can really start going for the season. 

This time I brought my canes by mail order instead of taking some from my garden as they have some sort of virus that turns the leaves black at the end of the season, and I wouldnt want to spread it through my allotment. I have also replaced my strawberries this year, and my leeks are growing well in the propogator. 

Those pesky weeds

Standard

This Winter has been kind to the weeds; my allotment is now a sea of green that I have been putting off tackling for a while. 


And the inherited raspberry plants that have been nothing but a disappointment since we took on the plot are still waiting to be dug up and replaced with tasty varieties that turned up this week. Looks like I can’t put it off much longer. 


I hope to have some time to dig and weed and get on top of the allotment this weekend, but growing a tiny human is hard work! 

At least the evenings are staying lighter for longer, just what we need to lift the spirits.

Happy digging!